Only 5% of the universe is made up of what we call ‘ordinary matter’. So what is the other 95%
You have probably heard of Dark Matter or Dark Energy before, but how much of it is in our universe? Studies done by many scientists of different trades over the years are coming closer and closer to finding out what we are actually inside of.
Before the 1970’s, we thought everything was made up of ‘baryonic’ matter. This is atoms, electrons, neutrons ect. because everything we see and feel is. But more evidence suggests that the majority of the universe is made of Dark Matter and Dark Energy. Measurements made by the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe, or WMAP, helps up to determine parameters of cosmology. In relation to the Big Bang, we have collected information that suggests that when the Big Bang happened the universe was expanding and thus this energy/matter filled in the empty space. Ironically, Dark matter is often referred to as empty space.